Roanoke Metropolitan Area
Centered on amid-sized city in southwestern Virginia, the Roanoke Metropolitan Area is known for its safe environment, mild climate, and continuously growing economy.
According to Forbes, the area now has a population of over 300,000. Home to the Carilion Health Foundation medical complex, Roanoke residents are provided with excellent health care services.
The area is surrounded by hills and mountains, protecting residents from winter chill and extreme temperatures. Rain and snow fall in just the right amounts in Roanoke.
The region is made up of Botetourt, Craig, Franklin, and Roanoke counties. Two independent cities can also be found in the areas of Salem and Roanoke.
The Roanoke metro area has a wide variety of neighborhoods – the city alone has almost 50. Single-family homes for sale throughout the metropolitan area boast of:
- Spacious living rooms suitable for entertaining
- Refinished kitchens with state-of-the-art appliances, granite countertops, and custom cabinetry
- Updated bathrooms and vanities
- Open-floor plans
- Breakfast nooks, lovely decks, and low-maintenance yards
Most residences in the Roanoke Metropolitan Area are blessed with picturesque mountain views. There are also many condos, apartments and townhomes available here.
The most desirable homes and lots for sale are typically those that have water access.
Activities and attractions
- Arguably the most famous spot in all of Roanoke, Mill Mountain Star and Park is lovely to visit, especially for couples and families. Regulars recommend visiting at night for a spectacular view of downtown Roanoke’s sparkling lights.
- For “railfans” or “train nuts,” the O. Winston Link Museum and the Virginia Museum of Transportation are must-visits. Highlights are Ogle Winston Link’s photos during the era of steam locomotive railroading and learning about other modes of transportation.
- The area’s institutions for higher education include Roanoke College, Hollins University, and the Jefferson College of Health Sciences.
For more details, contact real estate expert Jane Sullivan Horne at 540.493.1690 or email Jane(at)JaneAtTheLake(dotted)com. Jane has specialized in residential properties at Smith Mountain Lake since 1986.