Smith Mountain Lake Waterfront Homes:
Find Lakefront Property at The Water's Edge, The Boardwalk, and More!
- With its pristine waters, miles of shoreline, peaceful atmosphere, and abundance of outdoor activities, there no denying that Smith Mountain Lake is a unique area to be in.
- Smith Mountain Lake is home to a variety of unique residential areas, from exclusive country club communities to large lakefront neighborhoods with easy access to the water.
- When you buy Smith Mountain Lake real estate, you’ll have plenty of properties to choose from, including Nantucket-style cottages, luxury townhouses, lakefront properties, and custom-built homes.
One of the East Coast’s hidden treasures, Smith Mountain Lake is a sight to behold. Surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains, this man-made reservoir is filled with pristine blue water, perfect for swimming and other types of water recreation. This is one of the reasons why Smith Mountain Lake is sometimes referred to as the Lake Tahoe of the East.
There’s just something special about Smith Mountain Lake. It could be a natural beauty. It could also be the feeling of serenity that it induces among everyone. A certain je ne sais quois. Whatever it is, there is no denying that Smith Mountain Lake is a preferred destination for holidaymakers and, for some, the ideal place to live as well. And so, along the reservoir’s shores, you will find beautiful waterfront communities, with properties ranging from romantic cottages to contemporary vacation homes.
Smith Mountain Lake offers the perfect escape from the drudgery of city life without being too far away. Roanoke is about an hour’s drive away from the heart of Smith Mountain Lake, while Lynchburg is over an hour northeast. This accessibility makes Smith Mountain Lake and its waterfront communities all the more enticing.
Smith Mountain Lake Homes for Sale
Whether you decide to make Smith Mountain Lake your go-to vacation destination or your primary residence, the real estate options surrounding the lake are spectacular. The area straddles three different counties (Bedford, Franklin, and Pittsylvania), all of which are home to lovely waterfront communities you should explore. Below are some of the most coveted neighborhoods around Smith Mountain Lake.
The Water’s Edge
Undoubtedly one of the most luxurious places to live around Smith Mountain Lake, The Water’s Edge is a country club community composed of smaller neighborhoods. It is located in the town of Penhook in Franklin County.
At its heart is the clubhouse, where you can find state-of-the-art amenities such as a swimming pool, sports facilities, and last but not the least, The Water’s Edge’s very own Equestrian Center. The latter offers 75 acres of riding green that goes through the woods and emerge out into the lakefront. The Water’s Edge also has its own 18-hole PGA Championship golf course that was designed by golf architect R.F. Loving, Jr.
Communities at The Water’s Edge include:
- The Grande Villas, which features waterfront luxury townhomes that are 100 percent environmentally friendly and energy-efficient. Community features include 24/7 security, irrigated lawns, and shared docks for easy lake access. Each home gets their own deck, floating dock, storage, and covered slip as well.
- Village Green, which has the convenient location of being just a stone’s throw away from the club house and its incredible array of amenities. Homes in the Village Green not only enjoy lake views, but also calming vistas of the emerald golf course’s Hole 9.
- Golfer’s Crossing, which offers 45 New England-style cottages, most of which are located right by the lakefront. Like most of the communities at The Water’s Edge, Golfer’s Crossing is also maintenance-free and enjoys stunning views of Smith Mountain Lake and the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Island Green Pointe, which is the first residential community at The Water’s Edge. This is a waterfront neighborhood, with each single-family home in the area coming with their own covered boat slips for easy land-to-water movement.
- Marina Bay, which is a condo development within The Water’s Edge.
The Waterfront Golf and Country Club
No community around Smith Mountain Lake can surpass the prestige of The Waterfront Golf and Country Club. The first of its kind in the area, The Waterfront Golf and Country Club occupies a sprawling 750 acres of beautiful waterfront land and approximately 8.5 miles of shoreline, which means you can easily enjoy Smith Mountain Lake’s 22,000 acres of pristine water from the community.
The Waterfront Golf and Country Club also offers world-class amenities, including their 22,000-square-foot Clubhouse and their 18-hole PGA Championship golf course designed by George Dillon. Within these facilities, you’ll find features such as the pro shop, a state-of-the-art fitness facility, banquet rooms, and the bar room/lounge where you can enjoy unobstructed views of the golf course’s Hole 18.
Real estate options at The Waterfront Golf and Country Club are custom-built homes, condos, and townhomes that are available in different price points, ranging from $120,000 to $320,000. This flexibility makes the listings at The Waterfront Golf and Country Club quite a steal, an opportunity that home buyers and real estate investors shouldn’t miss.
The Waterfront Golf and Country Club is home to two distinct communities:
- South Pointe, a 48-unit condominium development, where each unit comes with their own covered boat slip with hoist. Each unit also comes with a full set of appliances, not to mention two spacious bedrooms and a porch or patio where residents can enjoy breathtaking views of Smith Mountain Lake and the peaks beyond.
- Gangplank Pointe, which sits along the shores of the main channel that flows to Smith Mountain Lake. Real estate options in this neighborhood include custom-built homes, most of which start at the $300,000s. Residents enjoy direct lake access, private boat slips, open patios, and decks where they can fish and reel their catch in.
The Boardwalk brings the experience of vacationing on the New England coast to Virginia with its collection of beautiful Nantucket-style cottages, set on 100-acres of lakefront land along Smith Mountain Lake’s west side. There are about four miles of shoreline to enjoy in this waterfront community in addition to the Recreation Center, the scenic boardwalk, and the miles of walking trails that snake throughout the neighborhood.
The waterfront cottages of The Boardwalk are maintenance-free, which means you can enjoy everything the Smith Mountain Lake area has to offer without ever worrying about chores. Each property has a porch with lake views and a private boat slip, allowing you to enjoy any kind of water recreation. Another perk of buying a home at The Boardwalk is you get to apply for a membership at The Waterfront Golf and Country Club.
The Cottages at Contentment Island
The Cottages at Contentment Island is one of the more exclusive developments within the Smith Mountain Lake area. With only 62 luxury waterfront townhomes in the community, the inventory is limited and the demand rather high. After all, you can easily live a life of ease and relaxation at Contentment Island.
As the name of the community implies, real estate at Contentment Island is mostly “cottages” in the form of luxury townhomes. These properties feature beautiful hardwood floors, high ceilings that give the illusion of more space, and open-floor layouts that you can customize and arrange as you see fit. Space is not as issue as well, as some of the cottages offer as much as 5,000 square feet.
There are plenty of things to do at The Cottages at Contentment Island. Swim laps at the swimming pool, channel your inner tennis superstar at the tennis courts, explore the neighborhood’s trails and, of course, enjoy a plethora of water activities on Smith Mountain Lake.
Located just across The Boardwalk, The Farm is the perfect place to live in the Smith Mountain Lake area if you’re keen on keeping your lifestyle green and sustainable. One of the first low-impact residential developments around Smith Mountain Lake, the entirety of The Farm was designed and built to comply with the strict rules of the Green Building Program. As a result, The Farm is an energy-efficient community with proper systems for water conservation and waste management. The end result is a wonderful and healthy place, not just for the environment, but for the local population of Franklin County as well.
There are a total of 63 properties at The Farm, ranging in size and location. So far, The Farm has one neighborhood called Hammock Pointe, where you can find 17 waterfront homes. Homeownership at The Farm grants you the opportunity to apply for a membership at The Waterfront Golf and Country Club.
Activities at The Farm, as expected, are centered on the environment. There is a picnic pavilion where you can set up a pleasant picnic for your loved ones, as well as a pool where you can cool off and relax. The community dock and boat storage area make sure everyone gets to enjoy all the perks of waterfront living at The Farm.
South Harbour is a 100-acre residential development just right on Dudley Amos Road. This is one of the best places in the Smith Mountain Lake area if you want to avoid the crowd. There are only 40 one to one-and-a-half acre lots in the neighborhood, and 28 of these are in a prime waterfront location. Here, you’re free to build your dream lakefront home. Like some of the other residential developments around Smith Mountain Lake, buying a lot at South Harbour also grants you the ability to apply for a membership at The Waterfront Golf and Country Club.
It’s an absolute pleasure to take a stroll around South Harbour. You’ll get to walk along a perfectly manicured landscape so you can enjoy views of Smith Mountain Lake. If you’re up to it, you can walk all the way to South Harbour’s highest point, where an observation deck has been erected. Check out breathtaking views of the surroundings, or sit on one of the Adirondack chairs under the shade of a historic red tree to read a book, cool off with a drink, or chat with your neighbors.
Considered as one of the best neighborhoods in the town of Moneta in Bedford and Franklin County, Waverly is a real treat. This lakefront neighborhood takes pride in its natural character, emphasizing the beauty that’s already there with lushly wooded lots and complementary landscaping.
It’s been a while since Waverly was developed in 1989, and although the community now has over 100 homes, there are still plenty of secluded home sites waiting for the right buyer. Choose to have a custom-built home, or purchase a resale in the location you want. Waterfront properties in Waverly have their own boat docks, allowing you and your guests to slip in and out of the water whenever you wish.
Community amenities at Waverly include a private clubhouse, which comes complete with a pool, fitness facilities, and tennis courts. Waverly also has its own 27-slip marina, open for use to residents as well as visitors. To fully enjoy Waverly’s wooded setting, walking trails weave around the neighborhood. These trails eventually lead to Waverly’s three-acre park, where you can socialize with neighbors or just sit back and relax.
Set on 138 acres of beautiful waterfront land, Park Place offers a total of 119 home sites that can accommodate a variety of real estate types, from a custom-built single-family home or a lakefront townhouse to the luxury home of your dreams.
For more information about Smith Mountain Lake developments and real estate for sale, browse my website or start a conversation with me today.
Why Smith Mountain Lake?
Smith Mountain Lake is one of the top choices for real estate investment in Southwest Virginia. Here are a couple of reasons why:
- Peaceful lakefront living: Living near a body of water has a variety of benefits, and in Smith Mountain Lake, you get to enjoy all of these perks in a serene setting. You can truly unplug and recharge.
- Proximity to Roanoke and Lynchburg: Vacation properties and second homes don’t have to be so far away from your primary residence. Smith Mountain Lake offers you a chance to own your private getaway, just about an hour’s drive away from Roanoke or Lynchburg. If you’re thinking of making Smith Mountain Lake your permanent residence, you can still enjoy city conveniences.
- Tight-knit small towns: Living in Smith Mountain Lake means you get to be a part of a small and welcoming community. The towns that surround Smith Mountain Lake all have their own charms and distinct characteristics. This will add to the entire Smith Mountain Lake experience.
- Diverse real estate options: In Smith Mountain Lake, a lakefront property doesn’t come in just one type or size. Housing options are incredibly diverse in the area and include single-family homes, condos, townhomes, and luxury estates. Moreover, the market also offers properties that are further inland, but still give you easy access to Smith Mountain Lake. You’ll get to find just the home that suits your budget and your needs perfectly.
The Smith Mountain Lake Lifestyle
What is it like to live in the Smith Mountain Lake area? As someone who has been living here for over 20 years, I can only describe it as an experience where you can move at your own pace and appreciate all the simple and fine things the world has to offer.
It’s the kind of lifestyle that awaits you, too, and these activities give you a taste of what’s in store for you in Smith Mountain Lake:
- Boating: The best way to see the grandeur of Smith Mountain Lake is to go out on a boat and paddle away. There are marinas and boat slips throughout the lake’s shoreline. If you don’t own a water vehicle, a trip to one of the local boat rentals will get you sorted.
- Fishing: Underneath the waters of Smith Mountain Lake, life thrives. The local anglers know this, and you will also get the chance to reel in some fresh catch. Depending on the season, you can catch largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, striped bass, crappie, catfish, and shad in these waters. Learn more about fishing at Smith Mountain Lake here.
- Golf: Golfing in the Smith Mountain Lake area is an unforgettable experience. As you swing your club, you will be treated to majestic views of Smith Mountain Lake and the Blue Ridge Mountains beyond. There are several private and public golf courses to choose from. For the former, the most notable are the 18-hole PGA Championship golf courses at The Waterfront Country Club and The Water’s Edge. Meanwhile, the Westlake Golf Course is ranked as one of the best public courses in the region.
- Hiking: On land, you’ll find spectacular hiking opportunities near Smith Mountain Lake. On top of the list is the Smith Mountain Lake State Park, which has 13 trails of varying distance and difficulty to choose from. Whichever path you choose, the journey will be rewarding. Other popular hiking spots near Smith Mountain Lake include Peaks of Otter and McAfee Knob, the latter being the most photographed part of the Appalachian Trail.
- Historic places: If you’re looking to take a break from water recreation, golf, or hiking, consider visiting any of the historic places scattered around Smith Mountain Lake. The National D-Day Memorial is about an hour away in Bedford. The Booker T. Washington National Monument is just a short drive from Smith Mountain Lake. Another must-visit attraction is the Blue Ridge Institute and Museum in Ferrum.
- Wineries: The pleasant weather that graces the region, not to mention the fertile lands, make the areas around Smith Mountain Lake prime wine locations in Southwest Virginia. Some of the closest wineries to the lake include Hickory Hill Vineyards and Brooks Mill Winery.
- Shopping and dining: There are plenty of retail and dining options around Smith Mountain Lake. Shopping centers, family-run establishments, and locally owned shops give much life to the community. You can get everything, from fresh produce to unique gifts. As for dining, culinary choices abound. You can dine at a casual eatery after a productive day of fishing, or take your loved one out on a date night in one of the fine-dining restaurants in the area.
There is no other place that comes close
I’ve been living in the Smith Mountain Lake area with my family for over 20 years, and it’s one of the best decisions I have ever made. Let it be one that you’ll keep close to your heart forever, too.
I’m Jane Horne, and I’ve been working as a real estate agent in Smith Mountain Lake since 1986. I know this community by heart, and I can’t wait to show you around. Put my local expertise and knowledge of the housing market and all its intricacies to working for you! Contact me today through this form or give me a call at 540.493.1690 to learn more about homes for sale by owner and residential developments here in Smith Mountain Lake.